Today the technology is getting advanced in every field of our society and having a great contribution in making our life easier and one of them is Automobile. There are various advanced and technological cars which are bringing by the researchers and highly efficient in terms of safety and comfort. But have we ever thought about the history of Automobile Safety Features?
Travelling by car is easier and safer compared to earlier. Technology has evolved very much from the very first automobile to self driving cars and also has made crashing far less likely.
History of Electric Cars: Throughout the history, many experts and researchers have replaces the combustion engine of production automobiles with the electric motors so that they would be able to create “Electric” cars.
These electric motors have the benefit of instant torque that means we do not need to have a clutch and also transmission that kind of power which can get addicting quick.
History of Various Auto-Safety Features:
- Speedometers: They have been introduced in 1901 in the Oldsmobile and currently they are standard in every vehicle.
- Safety Glass Windows: They were designed in order to help in preventing injuries by broken glass in the case of a collision in 1924 by Cadillac.
- Turn Signals: These have been introduced by the Buick in 1940 that we use today. They signalled in front and back of the car and turned off automatically after a turn.
- Dashboard Padding: They were introduced in 1947 but they have not been widely used in 1950s.
- Seat Belts: They were come in 1950 and 1956 and also were offered as an optional safety piece by various manufacturers. The first state which was required seat belts was New York in the front seat in 1962 and 1964. They possess the great contribution in terms of Auto-Safety.
- Headrests: They were very essential safety features for the front passengers in 1969 in order to protect the necks of people in case of a rear-end collision.
- Safety Door Latches: They are helpful in preventing the doors from opening at the time of collision in 1955.
- Airbags: They were invented in the 1950s but introduced to the people publicly in 1970s. In 1981, they returned back with the three point structure and in 90s, the mechanics started to work on equipped airbags in cars along with side impact airbags.
- Wipers: The windscreen wiper is the car feature that can remove snow, ice and rain from the in front for the drivers so that they could see the road better. The first wiper was designed in England and in 1903, they were publicly invented.